Sunday, December 22, 2013

Catching Up Part 2: New Chapters

The Fonseca's have started a new chapter in our new married lives.

If you haven't already heard...
1. Where have you been living? Under a rock?
2. Tony and I are now living in Seattle!

Along with planning a wedding, Tony was going through an interview process with Amazon, and about 2 weeks before we got married was offered a job. So with the stress of getting all the finishing touches ready for the wedding, and moving into Tony's house, we were making a decision on whether or not we should move. After some heavy duty praying, a few pros and cons lists, and a trip to Seattle for Tony, we decided that this time in our lives was the best time to try something new and go on an adventure. So we had made the decision that Seattle was where we were headed. 

After the wedding and our amazing honeymoon, we were brought back to the reality that we were moving in 3 weeks. Tony and I both worked for a week and said our goodbyes to our jobs in Utah. 

Saying goodbye to Sportclips was extremely hard for me. I had been working there for 4 1/2 years and it had become a second home to me. I felt more comfortable there than almost anywhere else. Most of the clients that came into our store I knew not just as clients, but as friends. I knew them and they knew me. I knew a lot of their wives as well as their children. I had watched the children of many of my clients grow up. One-by-one I had to break the news to my clients. Many of them weren't surprised and they were all extremely supportive. And I will admit I had to hold back tears as many of my clients walked out the door for the last time as my client. And as my last day of work approached it was very bitter sweet. I was so excited to be moving with my new husband, to a new state (which I had actually never been to), and to start this new chapter in our life. But I was sad to be saying goodbye. 

So with my shears, clippers, and many empty Tupperware containers from many long days with short lunches inhaled in between clients, I tearfully waved goodbye to good ol' SC, and let out a big sigh.

The next week brought a lot of excitement! Tony and I headed to Seattle in search of a place to live. Our trip was short, sweet, and full of apartments. We only spent about 3 days there and each day was completely booked with appointments at different apartments. After the second full day we started losing track of each apartment. It was all becoming one big blurred apartment.

"Which apartment had the good view?" 
"Wait, was that the place that had the weird shaped bedroom?" 

There were many strong contenders. A lot of places that felt like they could be home. Feeling really stressed out, and starting to highly consider plan B (Amazon's corporate housing they offer, until we find a place), we went to our last appointment. As we walked into the elevator with nicely designed walls and tv, both in awe of the cool elevator, Tony looked at me and said "Dude, we're totally going to live here!" (Although Tony doesn't think he said "Dude".) We walked onto the main floor to find a busy, people-filled common area with coffee shop, small market, and restaurant! Again, I think we might have looked at each other thinking "This could be it!" As we met with the leasing agent and went to look at a few available apartments, we just couldn't believe this place actually existed. It was everything we had been looking for. Modern, in budget, great location, within walking distance of Amazon, decent amount of space, and storage!! 

It almost felt too good to be true. The rest of the night as we forced ourselves to continue to take into consideration all of the other places we had seen, we kept coming back to this last place. Nothing compared and we couldn't get it out of our heads. We decided to make our decision. The last place was it! The next day we headed back to the apartment to put a deposit down and start the process! 

Afterwards, still in disbelief of what just happened, we decided to do a little sightseeing since we hadn't had time before then. Tony surprised me and we headed to the space needle! It was quite the experience looking out from the top of the space needle, to our soon to be neighborhood. It was definitely a moment I will never forget. After taking in the great view we headed to the airport to catch our flight....or so we thought.

After arriving the suggested 2 hours prior to our flight, we waited patiently to board our flight. We waited. And waited. And waited a little more. Finally the voice came over the intercom saying our plane was broke and they were fixing it. Meanwhile I started to complain...just a little bit...because the next day was my birthday, and I was not spending my birthday in an airport!!!!!!

Later. Another voice on the intercom saying we were not leaving that night, and we would be stuck there until tomorrow morning. Cool. Well luckily Delta put us up in a hotel for the night. We would be back the next morning at 4:30 to catch our 6 am flight. Only to be delayed another 2 hours.
Finally.... we were in the air headed back to Utah...on my birthday. 

Luckily I have an amazing husband who planned an amazing day for me. We did a little birthday shopping! Went to lunch with my family at Chic-Fil-A (which I'm craving super bad right now...they don't exist in Seattle.) And had an amazing dinner at The Melting Pot. 

It was a great birthday week in Seattle with a great birthday to end the week! 

3 days later the movers showed up. Packed up our house. And we started the drive to our new home in Seattle. 

Although much smaller than our previous home in Saratoga Springs, our new home is just as great in many other ways. We live right downtown, in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the city. Our view from our apartment is incredible, especially at night with all the city lights. And although our furniture barely fits, and its a little crammed, we've made it home. And it now feels like home. 

And with that of course we felt like we needed to add this little cutie to our family!

The newest member of the Fonseca family! (Who get spoiled far more than she should...from us...and my mom who considers her a grandpuppy.)

She too enjoys our view. This is a normal activity for her. 

So we spent Thanksgiving in Seattle with just the two of us. It was actually really nice to really break in our apartment (after a month of living there already) with a huge Thanksgiving dinner made by....yours truly, ME!

Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, corn, and rolls!
It was quite the success!!

We are now fully into the Christmas season with our apartment all decorated and our tree lit up! Tony and I grew up with different Christmas tree expectations. He grew up with real trees, and I grew up with fake trees. So I was excited to have a real tree this year! It was really fun to have it delivered and to have the fresh smell of pine fill our apartment. 

This is above the sliding door to our bedroom.

On the bookcase in the "entryway."

"Family Christmas Photo"
Pixel is not so fond of selfies.

But now I am excited to head back home to Utah for Christmas. I am excited to visit my family and spend some time with them. And of course go to Chic-fil-a and Cafe Rio! 

No comments: